Mmmm…… Meatless Monday. I believe my husband cringes at the dreadful thought of no meat. In his mind, they are transcribed as “I am going to starve.” Tonight was different. In fact, he loved this meal. Our kids, 1 out of 3 but hey, they may just be tired of the Mexican kick Momma has been on for two weeks.
Anyways, onward to the recipe. The Mexican rice is based off a recipe from eathealthyeathappy.com. It is excellent but we found it lacking main dish qualities. So we added a fried egg and several toppings so every spice level could be appeased. To add kick, throw jalapenos into the skillet and up the green chilies to hot. For the rest of us that prefer to taste our food (wink, wink), add cheese, salsa, sour cream, and avocados when the meal is served. The fried egg or two complete this dish with the protein punch it needs.
I hope you enjoy as much as we did!
Mexican Rice with a fried egg
- 2 1/2 Multigrain Rice
- 16 oz package of corn
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 small/medium onion diced
- 1 Orange or Yellow Pepper
- 1 small can of diced mild green chiles
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 tbsp. Chili Powder
- 1 tsp. Cumin
- 1 tsp. Paprika
- 1 tsp. Oregano
- 6-8 eggs Shredded cheese, salsa, sour cream, avocados, and jalapenos (optional toppings)
- Cook rice as directed in separate sauce pan.
- In a large skillet set on low heat, combine corn, black beans, green chilies, onion, pepper, garlic, tomatoes, garlic, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and oregano. Let simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Once rice is cooked to the tenderness you prefer, stir into the skillet. Mix well.
- Fry one or two eggs per person on a griddle or fry pan. Salt and pepper to preference.
- Garnish with the optional toppings above.