So it is the day after Christmas and yet you still have candy canes. What to do? Well, I suppose you could freeze them or better yet make peppermint Truffles. Truffles are a wonderful holiday gift. These are nut and gluten free. Yea! Besides who doesn’t love chocolate, beside my lovely odd husband? Anyways back to us chocolate lovers.
I started with a recipe from Your Cup of Cake to create the truffle’s soft center. However, I modified it as I always do much to my husband’s dismay and confusion. So here goes, my version.
Put munchkins on candy cane smash duty. They may give you confused looks but they get into it. Trust me.
While they are slamming their beloved candy canes on the table, start mixing the soft delish center as follows.
servings: 20+ time: 1hr 30mins difficulty: easy
A delish holiday treat or gift basket idea.
- 8 oz pkg Cream Cheese
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 2 1/2 cups White Chocolate baking chips
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/3 cup Crushed Candy Canes
- 2 pkgs (1lb each) Chocolate candy coating or 1 bag Chocolate Chips and 1/2 cup coconut oil
- In a stand mixer, blend cream cheese, powdered sugar and peppermint extract together.
- Melt White Chocolate baking chips as directed on package. Then add the melted chocolate to the cream cheese mixture.
- Refrigerate for 1 hr.
- Heat one chocolate candy coating package.
- Use a small cookie scoop to measure out the cold white peppermint filling. Roll it into a ball with palms.
- Roll the white ball into the milk or dark chocolate using a fork or toothpicks.
- Set aside on wax paper to harden.
- Refrigerate the finished product and enjoy in 20 mins.